After winning 7 straight at home, the Leafs snapped their streak with a loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, 2-1 in regulation. Toronto came into the game strong but their play diminished as the game went on. It was 0-0 at the end of one, but the Blue Jackets struck first, early in the 2nd period on a Dalton Prout point shot. Shortly after, Artem Anisimov was open back door, and buried the shot past a stick-less James Reimer, after a terrible defensive miscue. The game was controlled by Columbus from here on out. Mason Raymond scored with around 4 minutes left to play, but the Leafs ran out of time and couldn’t tie it up. This game was not only the end to the Leafs’ home winning streak, but also the end of Jonathan Bernier’s reign in the crease. James Reimer finally played against Columbus, and played pretty well, considering he stopped 31 of 33 shots after Bernier allowed 9 goals in the last two games.
**TRADE DEADLINE BREAK**
Notable Atlantic Division Acquisitions:
– In: Andrej Meszaros, Corey Potter
– In: Torey Mitchell, Michal Neuvirth, Rosti Klesla Out: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott, Matt Moulson, Jaro Halak
– In: David Legwand Out: Patrick Eaves
– In: Roberto Luongo, Dan Ellis Out: Jacob Markstrom, Tim Thomas, Marcel Goc, Shawn Matthias
– In: Thomas Vanek, Devan Dubnyk, Mike Weaver
– In: Ales Hemsky Out: Cory Conacher
– In: Ryan Callahan Out: Martin St. Louis
Fast forward to Wednesday night, and hey!..what do you know?…Marty St. Louis will indeed make his Ranger debut against the Leafs! Yipee! Hooray! Nothing can go wrong! And actually, to most Leaf fans’ surprise, ultimately nothing really did go wrong. St. Louis didn’t score, Bernier played great, more than one line contributed offensively, and the Leafs got a crucial 2 points in overtime to snap their losing streak at 3. So what they gave up two shorthanded goals in the same power play, AGAIN! The only thing that could have made the night better was Dion Phaneuf scoring into the opposing net, and Dave Bolland’s return.
The Leafs take on Philadelphia next, and look to build on to their new winning streak. Look for my new piece on the winners and losers of the trade deadline, which will hopefully be out tomorrow, and GO LEAFS GO!
Follow me on Twitter:@TheHockeyStuff
Subscribe to me on YouTube at:YouTube.com/TheHockeyStuff
Follow my blog for more hockey analysis, & Leafs Daily posts by clicking the logo below.
I'm a young sportswriter covering the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL.
Subscribe to me on YouTube at: YouTube.com/TheHockeyStuff
Latest posts by Leafs Daily (see all)
- They Blew It and It’s Official, No Playoffs: Lightning 2 Leafs 0: - April 14, 2014
- Leafs Weekend Review: No Hope - April 5, 2014
- Are The Leafs Falling Off The Cliff? - March 30, 2014